Resetting Program Settings to Default in FTM 2017 for Windows
The majority of our customers have no issues installing Family Tree Maker for Mac. However, please follow the steps below if you are having trouble installing it. Try installing and running Family Tree Maker for Mac once more after each step.
Resetting program settings to default in Family Tree Maker 2019 or(FTM) 2017 for Windows can be useful if you are experiencing issues with the software or want to start with a clean slate. Here are the steps to reset program settings to default in FTM 2017 for Windows:
- Open Family Tree Maker 2017 for Windows.
- Go to the Tools menu and select “Options.”
- In the Options window, select the “Reset” button.
- A window will appear asking you to confirm the reset. Click “Yes” to reset the program settings.
- Close and restart the software, the program settings will be set to their default values.
It’s important to note that resetting program settings to default will restore the original settings of the software, and all the changes you have made will be lost. Therefore, it’s recommended to make a backup of your tree or the files you have modified before resetting or upgrading old ftm the program settings.
Additionally, if you are experiencing specific issues with the software, you can try to troubleshoot the problem before resetting the program settings to default. The help section or the user manual of the software may have more information on how to fix specific issues.
Numerous applications and installations may not function properly if your Mac is out of date with updates for its operating system, components, and software. Please follow the steps below to verify that your Mac is up to date.
Close all of the programs running on your computer right now.
In the upper-left corner of your screen, select the Apple menu.
Select the Software Update… option, and a dialog will open while the system looks for necessary updates for your machine.
A new dialog will show up after this process is finished, telling you if any updates were found.
Click the Download or Install button to start the process of installing any updates for your system. Depending on the type of updates that were installed, you may need to restart your computer.
Starting Your Computer in Safe Mode By starting your Mac in safe mode, you can identify potential issues. In Safe Mode, many features, including those that may be hindering Family Tree Maker’s operation, are disabled.
Create a New User Account On occasion, your Mac’s User Account may become corrupted or unusable. It’s also possible that some of your current account settings are affecting how the system works, but you don’t know which ones you changed. Everything will be reset to defaults on a new account, and it may also be free of other corruption. As a result, creating a new account is a great way to resolve various issues.
Troubleshooting Installation for FTM for Mac
Family Tree Maker (FTM) is a genealogy software that can be installed on a Mac computer. If you are experiencing issues with the installation of FTM for Mac, here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:
- Check system requirements: Make sure your Mac meets the system requirements for FTM. You can find the system requirements on the Ancestry website or in the installation guide that came with the software.
- Check for updates: Make sure your Mac operating system is up to date. Some installation issues can be caused by outdated system components.
- Disable security software: Some security software can interfere with the installation of FTM. Try disabling any antivirus or firewall software temporarily and see if the problem persists.
- Restart your Mac: Sometimes a simple restart can fix installation issues. Try restarting your Mac before installing FTM again.
- Check for free space: Make sure you have enough free space on your hard drive to install FTM.
- Reinstall FTM: If you are still experiencing issues, try uninstalling and reinstalling FTM. Make sure to backup your tree before uninstalling.
- Contact technical support: If you continue to experience issues, contact Ancestry technical support for further assistance.
- It’s important to note that resetting program settings to default will restore the original settings of the software, and all the changes you have made will be lost. Therefore, it’s recommended to make a backup of your tree or the files you have modified before resetting or upgrading old ftm the program settings.
- Additionally, if you are experiencing specific issues with the software, you can try to troubleshoot the problem before resetting the program settings to default. The help section or the user manual of the software may have more information on how to fix specific issues.
It’s important to note that, sometimes, the cause of the installation issue may be related to a specific feature or a specific tree, so it’s recommended to try working with a new tree or a smaller tree to identify the cause of the issue. Also, it’s important to make a backup of your tree or the files you have modified before troubleshooting the issue, in case any errors occur during the process.
Even if your disc is in good condition and you are still unable to install Family Tree Maker for Mac, you still have a few options at this point. System issues can be identified by contacting Apple or going to an Apple Store, and Family Tree Maker support may be able to recommend additional solutions. If you get in touch with us, make sure to mention this article number (5446) and let us know how each step went so we can figure out how to help you best.